Feuilles à travers les cloches : 12/04/1999 - Stockholm, Ensemble Pärlör for Svin
Seven Lakes Drive, Les Ruines circulaires : 23/07/2006 - Festival Messiaen au pays de la Meije, Ensemble Les Temps Modernes, Guillaume Bourgogne (conductor)
Garrigue : 15/03/2008 - Caen, Festival Aspects des musiques d'aujourd'hui, Ensemble Fa, Dominique My (conductor)
Dernières nouvelles du vent d'ouest, La Chambre des cartes : 21/04/2011 - Amsterdam, Muziekgebouw, Nieuw Ensemble, Ed Spanjaard (conductor)
Paludes : 30/09/2011 - Strasbourg, Festival Musica, Ensemble Cairn
Une lettre de Vincent : 01/02/2018 - Stuttgart, Festival Eclat, L'Itinéraire
Portulan cycle for eight musicians
Portulan: an ancient maritime atlas that shows coastlines and indicates principle landmarks to sailors still lacking compasses.
Portulan, a chamber music project that should, upon completion, consist of a cycle of 9 or 10 pieces. It will be written for 8 musicians (fl, cl, hn, pn, perc, vl, vla, cello), but each piece will use a different combination within that ensemble. It is also a sort of autobiography through metaphors, in the sense that each piece refers to some thing, place, trip, reading or aesthetic experience of particular significance for me. In addition, Portulan is the title of a poetry album written by my father that was important to me when I was an adolescent.
Portulan is composed of:
- Feuilles à travers les cloches for flute, violin, cello and piano,
- Les Ruines circulaires for clarinet and violin,
- Seven Lakes Drive for flute, clarinet, horn, piano, violin and cello,
- Garrigue for flute, viola, cello and percussions,
- Dernières nouvelles du vent d'ouest for viola, horn, piano and percussions,
- La Chambre des cartes for eight musicians
- Paludes for flute, clarinet, violin, viola and cello,
- Une lettre de Vincent for flute and cello.
Born in Le Havre in 1947, Tristan Murail received advanced degrees in classical and North African Arabic from the Ecole Nationale des Langues Orientales Vivantes, as well as a degree in economic science, while at the same time pursuing his musical studies. In 1967, he became a student of Olivier Messiaen [...]